Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I like to start my letters as if we're in the middle of a conversation:)

It has been quite the week.

Sister Brock is no longer in the hospital. Last week we went to visit her in the evening and she was doing well. We took her on a couple of walks down the hall and back woo!(: Before we left that night she asked if we could get special permission to come back the next day during our lunch hour, so we told her we would ask. The next morning we went to Sister Poulsen and asked her about it and she said that would be fine! We were going to go at 11 but then we remembered we had to host the organ recital so we ended up leaving for the hospital at 1pm. As we were walking into the hospital I saw a very familiar face, Sister Iloilo! I said hello and asked her what brought her to Salt Lake! She told me about Brother Iloilo (my former Sunday school teacher and our visiting teacher) and said he was in that same hospital on the fourth floor! After we visited Sister Brock we decided to go stop by his room. I didn't know how serious the situation was until I got to his room, but the nurse made me put a gown over my clothes and some gloves on before I could go in. I have never been in a room with a patient in as serious of a condition as he before. Although he couldn't really talk, I am very glad to have been able to see him and talk with him. As we were leaving the hospital the words of a quote that I have inside my daily planner kept replaying over and over. It says,

"We are surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort, our kindness. We are the Lord's hands here upon the earth, with a mandate to serve and to lift His children. He is dependent upon each of us."

Yesterday in Zone Training Meeting the Zone Leaders asked me to talk a little bit about how we are representatives of Jesus Christ, and I shared that experience of visiting Brother Iloilo. I just know that if the Savior were here on the earth, the hospital room of Brother Iloilo would be one of the first places He would visit.

Fleet is going well! Our car, Lance was having some brake light issues so we took him to the shop to get fixed. While we were there talking with some of the workings in the church office building they told us that they're going to sell Lance soon and get us a new car, so that's really exciting! They even asked US what type of car we want! Haha we just said that we like Honda's and Toyota's but we will love anything they give us! (They did also mention that they just got a new sky blue Toyota Prius with like zero miles...but we're not getting our hopes up.) Haha(:

Our investigators are doing so well! One of our dear friends from Virginia is hoping to be baptized this Sunday. Another one of our good friends in Georgia is planning to be baptized this Saturday. We are extremely excited for them and are keeping them in our prayers! It'll be an exciting weekend!

Before my mission my brother-in-law, Kori, would sing this song called "How Can I Be" with his ukulele. It is honestly one of my favourite songs and I catch myself singing it a lot during the day. This week, while thinking about the words of the song, I realized a little more why I was sent to Temple Square. There are many days here when I feel like one of the prophets mentioned in that song. On Temple Square we teach, testify and invite all day each day but so many people are just not interested in what we have to say. We know our message is of great value and importance, but other people understanding that is a different story. The other day while singing that song I got to the part that says, "I want to be like Abinadi.." and I suddenly stopped. And then it hit me, I feel like Abinadi most days of the week. Haha:) Although Abinadi testified with power and with the Holy Ghost, only one man listened to him. But even though one man listened to him Abinadi had no idea, once Alma left the room, if anything was really going to cause him to change. He could not see the influence he had on others, at least not in this life. Even though people come and go from Temple Square every day, we always pray that they remember that something that they felt, and that they are willing to DO something about it. I told Heavenly Father that I wanted to be like Abinadi, so He sent me to Temple Square. :)

Well I hope you are all enjoying the coming of Spring! Yay! Happy National Frozen Food Day! We plan on celebrating by getting ice cream. (: Good excuse. I love you all! Have a wonderful week! Always remember, "If you want to give light to others, you have to glow yourself!" -Thomas S. Monson

Love,
Sister Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment