Sunday, August 17, 2014

Happy Birthday AMERICA!!!! (July 8th)

Oh my goodness I don't know how I'm going to fit all of the things from this week into this email that my heart desires but I'm sure going to try! But first I have to remember them all...

So for America's birthday we had a mission-wide BBQ at the Brigham Young park. It was delicious, to say the least. Although it was a holiday, President Poulsen had us keep the square open so we could accommodate all of the non-American tourists in town. Which was fantastic because the time is far spent and closing Temple Square is a little like denying people a chance to receive salvation. (Ok, maybe I'm a little dramatic but honestly, the time is far spent...there is little remaining...)

My companion and I have been trying to find some pretty creative ways to find people to teach! Like we've really been trying to think outside the box...haha! Today we reserved one of the large theaters in the North Visitor Center under our names and just had Mormon messages and short videos from the church going continuously for about an hour. We spent our time in front of the theater contacting people, inviting them to go inside and watch, answering questions, etc etc. It was so cool! We're excited to do it again later this week on an even busier day to see how many people we can strike up a conversation with. We also spent some of our time just standing inside the gates of Temple Square holding lots of maps because we realized that people don't really want to talk to missionaries because they're afraid we'll try to shove religion down their throats. So whenever people came in, we offered a map and asked if they needed directions anywhere. Of course, they'd say yes (because being offered a map is not threatening at all) and it was fantastic because it gave us a change to give them an overview to all the buildings on the square. Now I know what you're thinking, we sound like tour guides, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to get people talking about religion when you say, "This building is the Tabernacle. The early members built it so they could gather and listen to the living prophet speak." It's exciting how many people are so shocked to discover that we have a living prophet! In fact, a couple weeks ago, we told this guy (that we met at one of the desks) that we have a living prophet today and he said, "Wait...what? A living prophet? What's his name!?" We answered Thomas S. Monson and he threw his hands up and said, "I'm taking the tour!!! I am taking the tour!" Haha! I love being a Temple Square missionary!!!

So the Salt Lake Temple is going to be closed all transfer long:( So President Poulsen gave us permission to travel to the Bountiful Temple this morning!!!! It was SO beautiful! It's also the temple they show in the presentation God's Plan for His Families (which each temple square sister watches on average 500 times during her mission) so it was exciting to be there! We took lots of pictures and the temple workers were so excited because they don't get many missionaries coming to that temple. (: It was such a special treat!

We've been taking several motor coaches lately! I LOVE motor coaches! Well I mean, you know me, I love a good crowd! And taking motor coaches is way better than acting or singing because what you're sharing with these people is going to change their lives forever! My companion and I have talked a lot about how interesting it is that people enjoy our tours on Temple Square so much. They always tell us how much they enjoyed it and how wonderful it was, and they just seem so happy! The reality is: nothing that my companion and I do or say is the factor to their rapid increase of happiness from the beginning to end of a tour. It's ALL the spirit. These people are walking away soo happy because they have felt the spirit of the Lord have influence and power in their hearts. And just imagine how long their spirit has been waiting for this! Their spirit has been waiting for years and years to hear the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. THAT is why these people love coming to Temple Square so much. Us missionaries are simply the means by which they get to hear the message! We are SO lucky!

I know the 4th of July was last week, but my companion and I have been discussing our country so much lately that I can't help but just feel so much excitement and happiness for the establishment of this country, and this mission! Temple Square is amazing and it is the headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In Relief Society they spoke about how 56 men represented 2.5 million people when they created and signed The Declaration of Independence. Then, they drew the parallel to our role here as missionaries. On this 35 acre land that make up the headquarters of the church, there are only 220 sister missionaries who represent over 15 million people world-wide; we are from over 50 countries and speaking over 40 languages.  It's a small ratio to a lot of people but it's such an exciting call. And really, each missionary around the world is doing the same thing! There are 85,000 missionaries who represent over 15 million members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That is not something to be taken lightly. But it is something to take joyfully. (:

Alright so I can't think of anything else to write right now...so I suppose this is all the most important things to share this week. I just love being a missionary on Temple Square! AH! I love being able to teach constantly and watch how the people change when they hear about the restored gospel! It's so amazing! I'm so happy!

Ok, I'll stop. I love you all, you're all fantastic and beautiful and handsome and funny and smart. (: Keep it up.

Love yous,
Sister Davis

President and Sister Poulsen THEY ARE THE CUTEST COUPLE TO EVER LIVE!

Sister Merrill and I celebrating how much we love our country. (:

I took this at the Bountiful Temple! AH!

Me at the Bountiful Temple!

My companion and I at the Bountiful Temple!

Our Zone at the Bountiful Temple! Yay!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment